Lean how long it takes to build a parking lot.
A well-constructed parking lot is an integral part of your business. It’s the first part of your business that clients access when they visit. When in good condition, your parking lot has the power to contribute to the flourishing of your business.
Building a parking lot requires time and resources and working with a professional parking lot team. But the question is, how long does it take to build a parking lot? To answer that question, this post discusses the process the asphalt paving contractor follows to build a parking lot.
The Process of Building a Parking Lot
Whether building a stand-alone parking lot, self-park, or a mixed structure parking lot, the contractor needs to have a plan.
Parking lot planning is complex and requires the collaboration of multiple professionals for perfect results. To answer the question, “how long does it to build a parking lot” largely depends on the site itself.
The asphalt paving contractor needs to consider the movement and parking of cars within the premises. During the planning phase, the contractor needs to take into account some special needs which include:
- The size, height and turning point of the automobiles accessing your premises
- The entrance and exit of the parking lot
- Working within local codes to meet the zoning issues
- The lighting system of your parking lot
- Ventilation, depending on the design of the parking lot
The structural integration of your parking lot is essential in maximizing the functionality of the facility. At this stage, the asphalt paving contractor must design the parking lot to withstand the harshest weather conditions of the area. The contractor must also give careful consideration to the floor of the facility to avoid slippage issues.
The drainage and the floor slope of your parking lot are very essential. Leaving them unchecked could lead to ponding water, which will cause serious maintenance problem in future.
Parking Lot Maintenance
When you plan to build a parking lot, you need to be ready for maintenance, as it’s the most time-consuming stage. Parking lot maintenance requires a checklist and maintenance schedule. The maintenance process involves various activities depending on the condition of your parking lot
- Sealcoating- asphalt sealcoating should be completed at least 3 to 9 months after laying new asphalt paving. Sealcoating extends the lifespan of your parking lot by protecting it from hazardous effects of weather elements, water, and fuel, and chemical spills.
- Crack patching and repair- frequent usage and exposure to harsh weather elements result in asphalt cracking. A regular parking lot repair helps take care of the cracks when they’re still small. If neglected, the hairline cracks can develop to more complicated alligator cracks, which are more complicated and expensive to repair.
- Parking lot striping- asphalt striping needs to be done as soon as you note the markings on your paving fading. Also, make sure you strip your parking lot after repair to ensure the parking lot markings are intact.
When to Perform Parking Lot Repairs
Asphalt is a durable paving material and no wonder many property owners use it on their parking lot. However, asphalt paving doesn’t last forever, and it reaches a point when it requires repair. How long it takes to build a parking lot includes the time spent on maintenance and repair. You can tell you require asphalt patching and repair if you note any of the following distresses on your parking lot.
The problem occurs when the impact of heavy traffic causes the asphalt paving to have depressions. Ruts are notorious in making the driver lose control when using your parking lot. If left unrepaired, the depressions can result in deeper subsurface depressions.
Cracks occur due to water damage, poor initial installation, or oxidation. There’re different types of cracks including:
- Alligator cracks
- Edge cracks
Cracks should be sealed as soon as possible to prevent them from deteriorating. Leaving the cracks unattended causes water to pass through, further damaging the foundation of your paving.
Understanding How Long It Takes to Build a Parking Lot
Are you still struggling with the question, how long does it take to build a parking lot? Well, if the initial planning is done well, then it shouldn’t be long before your new parking lot is ready for customers.
As mentioned, parking lot maintenance consumes a lot of time and need to be handled by a professional. At Parking Lot Services in Tampa, we strive to deliver the best asphalt patching and repair services. If you want to learn more about how long it’ll take to build a parking lot, don’t hesitate to contact us to schedule a no-cost consultation for parking lot installation in Tampa!